Step-by-step guide to getting everything you need to Volunteer and/or coach
Step 1: Get your Background Checks (Required for Coaches)
If you have these clearances from another organization (Church, School, etc) they are applicable with DYS. These are now good for 5 years as well. You can load digital copies into the Coach Registration in Step 3.
Have questions about the new laws? click here: http://www.keepkidssafe.pa.gov/
Below are the links for anyone that has maintained residence in Pennsylvania for the last 10 years.
PA Child Abuse History Clearance (This should now be a free Clearance)
Pennsylvania State Police Criminal Record Check (This should now be a free Clearance)
Additionally, if you haven't been a resident in PA for the last 10 years:
Step 2: Complete your Concussion Education (Required for Coaches)
Step 3: EPYSA Risk Management (Required for Coaches, Coordinators and Team Managers)
Save your ID!
Step 4: Register with DYS and Upload your Certificates (Required for Coaches, Coordinators and Team Managers)
Register with DYS Checklist:
- PA Child Abuse Certificate
- PA State Police Background check Certificate
- FBI Background Clearance (Only required for those that have not resided in PA for the last 10 yrs)
- Heads Up! Concussion education Certificate
- EPYSA Risk Assessment ID
- Know the age group you are coaching (ex. U8, U10, etc) and the program you are coaching with (recreational, select)
This is a new registration system so you may need to create an account if you do not have children registered since last fall. I hope you'll find the new registration system easy to use.